As you are probably aware, county judge Lina Hidalgo announced on Friday an executive order mandating all businesses in Harris County that provide goods or services to require masks or face coverings. The onus has been placed on businesses to enforce this rule and the businesses are subject to fines of up to $1000 per infraction. As a franchise, individually owned Snap Fitness locations must abide by all local government orders or lose their license.
While we understand the difficulty of wearing a mask while exercising, this puts us in a very frustrating situation where we are doing our best to accommodate those who feel safe coming to the gym right now while ensuring the business will still be around for the members who are staying out of the gym. Like many other businesses, these last few months have been straining to say the least. We appreciate your membership, your patience, and especially your help in making sure that our members stay healthy and that our small gym can remain open. Please feel free to reach out to us by email or phone.
The full text of the executive order may be found here
. Following is the portion that pertains to masks inside businesses:
Face Coverings - General Public Except for the exemptions below, all people 10 years or older shall wear a face covering over their nose and mouth when in a commercial entity or working in areas in a commercial entity that involve close proximity with others. The CDC advises face coverings for people 2 years or older. Face coverings may include homemade masks, scarfs, bandanas, or a handkerchief. Harris County residents should continue to maintain social distancing of at least six feet while outside the home. Harris County employees also are required to wear face coverings under the same circumstances as the general public.
IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT PEOPLE NOT OBTAIN OR WEAR MEDICAL MASKS or N-95 RESPIRATORS AS THEY ARE A NEEDED RESOURCE FOR HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS AND FIRST RESPONDERS.
Our healthcare workers and first responders on the front-line combating COVID-19 must have priority access to medical masks or other personal protective equipment. Face coverings do not need to be worn in the following circumstances:
- When exercising outside or engaging in physical activity outside;
- While driving alone or with passengers who are part of the same household as the driver;
- When doing so poses a greater mental or physical health, safety, or security risk;
- While pumping gas or operating outdoor equipment;
- While in a building or activity that requires surveillance or screening, for example, banks;
- When consuming food or drink.
Snap Fitness Kingwood is now open 24/7! We are so excited to welcome our members back into the club. In order to provide the safest environment for our members and staff, we have made some temporary changes in our policies and procedures.
- Max capacity at this time is 22 people - no guests until this is increased
- Some cardio machines may be disabled to ensure distancing
- Additional cleaning protocols particularly in high-touch areas
As a part of opening, we will be following the government restrictions set in place. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and make updates to our procedures and policies as required.
- Self-screen for symptoms prior to coming to the gym
- Wash or disinfect hands upon entering the facility
- Wear gloves that fully cover hands and fingers (not mandatory)
- Disinfect any equipment before and after use - We have not been able to order wipes since mid-March as they are only being shipped to medical facilities. Spray bottles with disinfectant and clean towels or paper towels will be provided to each member for wiping equipment.
- If possible, please try to limit the items you bring into the gym such as bags and purses
This phased reopening process will require patience, understanding, and cooperation from all of us. If you are choosing to wait to return to the gym, you can follow along to free classes powered by Fitness On Demand or find a variety of workouts on our blog.
Thanks for sticking with us and we’ll see you at the gym!
Snap Fitness Kingwood