Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
We aren’t surprised that tom kha gai is a favorite dish around the world. This spicy and sour hot soup is loaded with lemongrass, coconut milk, and ginger – giving it some serious flavor.
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons Thai red chili paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (easier to cut if partially frozen)
5 cups chicken stock
3 bay leaves
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 4 chunks
3 stalks lemongrass
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 14 oz. can quality coconut milk
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 limes, juiced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat.
- Add red chili paste and minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and sauté until partially cooked, about four minutes.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaves, ginger, lemongrass, and basil. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, coconut sugar, lime juice, mushrooms, and red bell pepper.
- Simmer one to two minutes until bell peppers are tender but still crisp.
- To serve, remove lemongrass stalks, bay leaves, and ginger chunks.
- If desired, add cilantro, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and Sriracha to taste.
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.