Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burger RecipeSnap Fitness
These sweet and spicy patties are a great way to switch up your usual burger routine. They're vegan, gluten free, and made with wholesome ingredients like quinoa, sweet potato, white beans, and oat flour. I like serving them on whole grain buns with smashed avocado and hot sauce, but they also work well crumbled over your favorite salad. This recipe serves six.
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked (tri-color or white)
1 medium sweet potato
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 shallot, diced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 cup oat flour
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized sauce pan. Add the quinoa and toast for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the water and 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes (until all liquid is absorbed). Set aside and allow to cool.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, cook the potato. Poke holes in the potato and microwave for a few minutes, until softened. Push the potato through a potato ricer. If you don't have a ricer, peel the potato before you microwave it, and then mash with a fork.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Mash the beans with a fork in a large bowl. Add the cooled quinoa and cooked sweet potato, and stir in the spices, remaining salt, and oat flour.
5. Form the dough into 6 patties (about 1/2 cup each) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes on each side.
7. Serve on a burger bun (gluten free, if desired), with your favorite toppings; I love smashed avocado and a drizzle of hot sauce.
Katie is the creator of a food blog with hearty vegetarian meals, decadent desserts, and everything in between. A vegetarian since age three, she loves developing healthy, veggie-packed recipes that even her meat-eating boyfriend will devour.