Roasted Red Pepper Lentil SoupSnap Fitness
Comfort yourself with a nice warm bowl of soup. This roasted red pepper lentil soup combines the rich flavors of red peppers with lentils to keep you satisfied. Healthy, hearty, and delicious – we think this soup is will be a hit!
2 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
¼ cup coconut or olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup lentils, rinsed
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon freshly ground sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons Sriracha (depending on your heat preference)
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Drizzle red bell pepper halves with half the coconut oil and place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast about 30 minutes until the skins are completely wrinkled and the peppers are charred, turning them twice during roasting.
- Remove sheet from the oven, place red peppers in a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to steam for about 10 minutes. This will help loosen the skin from the flash of the pepper.
- After 10 minutes, peel peppers with your fingers (the skin should slide right off), discard skin and set aside.
- While peppers are roasting, heat remaining coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Add chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and translucent, about five to seven minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika and thyme and cook until fragrant while stirring, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in lentils, broth, water, salt, pepper, Sriracha, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Partially cover the pot and let cook for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Transfer two cups of soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Pour puréed soup back into pot and stir until mixture is combined.
- Add roasted red peppers and cook over medium until soup is heated throughout. Remove pot from heat and season with more salt and pepper to taste.