National Heart Awareness MonthSnap Fitness
Having a healthy heart is key in preventing diseases and heart related issues. There are three major components to having a healthy heart:
1. Exercise daily
The more a person works out, the more efficiently the heart can pump blood and oxygen to the working muscles. Here are some great heart-healthy workouts:
- HIIT training: Doing high-intensity interval training (HIIT) increases calorie burn, strengthens the heart to work anaerobically, and expands the fat-burning zone (anaerobic zone).
- Weight lifting: Lifting weights help build muscle mass, which helps burn fat.
- Running: Invertal training is highly effective in improving cardiovascular fitness.
- Cycling: If running puts too much pressure on your joints, cycling is a great alternative to boost your cardiovascular fitness.
Try alternating between 2 or 3 of these cardio options to keep your workouts exciting and constantly challenge your fitness abilities.
2. Eat wholesome foods
Load your grocery cart with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and lean meats. These things provide your body with the nutrients it needs to function properly. Avoid trans-fats at all costs! These can be found in:
- Packaged snack foods
- Deep-fried foods
- Fast foods
- Bakery products
- “Partially hydrogenated” foods
Focus on adding foods that are similar to how they are found in nature. When you pick up an item at the grocery store, ask yourself, "Did this come from a farm or a factory?"
3. Avoid smoke and tobacco!
We are all aware of the negative affects smoking and tobacco have on the body. Maybe you or someone you know just has a cigarrette when they drink. It is important to know that even one cigarrette once in a while is still harmful to the heart and blood vessels. Second hand smoke does the same thing so try to avoid it at all costs.
Start implementing these three things in your life today!