LOADED MEDITERRANEAN SWEET POTATO SKINS
Serve up some healthy game day grub that everyone will love! Classic potato skins loaded with cheese and heavy sauces are so last year. Switch things up with this sweet potato version – stocked with chickpeas, tomatoes, seasonings, and topped with a tasty hummus sauce.
4 medium sweet potatoes, halved
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas
2 cups canned fire roasted tomatoes
2 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
For the hummus sauce:
¼ cup hummus
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon parsley
Water to thin
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place sweet potato halves skin side down and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and sauté shallots and garlic until golden, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Scoop out sweet potato flesh into a large bowl, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato inside. Place skins back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- While skins are cooking, mash the sweet potato flesh with the fire roasted tomatoes, paprika, cumin and salt and pepper. Stir in chickpeas, shallots and garlic and mix until combined.
- Remove skins from the oven and fill each with an equal amount of the mashed sweet potato chickpea mixture and bake for another 10 minutes, until potatoes are heated through.
- In a small bowl, mix together hummus sauce ingredients. Remove potatoes from the oven and drizzle with hummus sauce.
Serve warm and top with green onions if desired.
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.