Healthy Grocery Shopping: Where to Start
What’s the key to healthy eating? Preparing in advance! That starts with a healthy grocery list to stock up on the best ingredients for each of your healthy meals. This guide is the first step in your weekly healthy eating and will speed up those grocery store trips by giving you a plan!
Before you grocery shop, take note of what you already have in your kitchen from the list below, and make your own list to fill in the blanks.
Investing even just a little more time into your preparation to make sure you have all the ingredients you need- you’re eliminating two huge hurdles when it comes to healthy eating.
- Having enough time
- Having the right ingredients
BREAK DOWN YOUR NEEDS INTO GROUPS
Since the grocery store is typically broken up by food groups, why not break down your list into groups to make your shopping trip easier?
Below you’ll find what you should always have in your kitchen as well as a few items that are optional! (This is pending any dietary restrictions or allergies)
- High fiber cereals
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Sweet potatoes/yams
- Whole wheat/gluten free pasta
- Brown rice or quinoa
HAVE AT LEAST ONE OF THESE
- Whole wheat, gluten free or sprouted bread
- Whole wheat wraps
- Whole wheat English muffins
- Boneless/skinless chicken breast
- Filet/hanger/flank/sirloin/lean ground beef
- Turkey bacon
- 3 in seasons fruits including at least 1 berry
- 5 in season vegetables including 1 leafy green
- Nonfat/Non-dairy milk
- Low fat/nonfat plain Greek or regular yogurt
- Parmesan cheese
- Low fat cheese
- Tomato sauce
- Low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Low sodium soup
OILS, VINEGARS, CONDIMENTS
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Canola oil
- Other vinegars
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh or minced garlic
- Crushed red pepper
- Fruits/Berries with no added sugar
- Ground turkey meat
- Vacuum sealed fish
- Veggie burgers
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.