Fish Tacos with Red Cabbage-Apple Slaw and Mango SalsaSnap Fitness
Tacos are a great weeknight meal. They’re quick, filling, and flavor-packed. Too often, tacos are topped with gobs of sour cream, loads of cheese, and made with seasoning packets that are high in sodium. Try this twist on the classic instead! This recipe is light, and turns up both the heat and nutrition of this delicious meal.
Mango salsa with cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice adds a sweet, spicy layer, perfectly complimenting broiled cumin seasoned fish. Serve with the red cabbage slaw on the side or add a bit to your tacos for added crunch.
Fish Tacos with Red Cabbage-Apple Slaw and Mango Salsa
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound cod, tilapia fillets, or other firm white fish (4 four-ounce fillets)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
6 tablespoons plain yogurt (milk-based or dairy-free)
1/2 cup finely minced fresh cilantro, divided
1/4 cup fresh lime juice, divided
1/3 small red cabbage, thinly shredded (about 3 cups)
1 medium firm apple, cored and coarsely shredded
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large jalapeno chile, halved length-wise, seeds removed, minced, divided
1 cup peeled, pitted and diced mango
1/3 cup red finely-diced red onion
Salt and pepper to taste
8 6-inch tortillas
Fresh spinach or other greens for tacos as desired
1. Preheat broiler. Rub fish fillets with olive oil and place on baking parchment lined baking pan.
2. Dividing between fillets, sprinkle ground cumin on fillets, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Broil fish eight to 12 minutes until fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
4. While fish is broiling, stir together yogurt, two tablespoons lime juice and two tablespoons minced cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer half the mixture to a small bowl serving. Set aside.
5. Toss cabbage, green onions, and half of minced jalapeno with remaining yogurt mixture. Season slaw with salt and pepper, as needed.
6. To make mango salsa toss together mango, red onion, remaining diced jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
7. Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Add fresh spinach or other greens to tortillas. Fill with tortillas with fish and fresh spinach, if using.
8. Drizzle with reserved yogurt mixture and top with mango salsa. Serve slaw on the side.
Angela runs a gluten-free/dairy-free food blog. She’s a master food preserver, gluten- and dairy-free cooking instructor, and mother of three kids and a flock of spunky chickens.