Featured Recipe: Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Veggie burgers are a fantastic, guilt-free alternative to burgers. Most people shy away from veggie burgers because of their bad rap as being too bland. There are many variations of veggie burgers out there, but none compare to the taste of a black bean burger.
If you’re looking for a meal that is simple to make, full of protein and fiber, and not to mention, delicious, you came to the right place! We added a touch of spice to these bean burgers for a burst of extra flavor that will wake up your taste buds sing. We suggest topping these bad boys with avocado, lettuce, and tomato.
1 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 white onion
1/4 green pepper
1/4 red pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup panko ( bread crumbs)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
4 100% whole wheat burger buns
4 cheese slices if desired
1. Chop onion and garlic finely, or use a food processor and pulse until chopped. Set aside
2. In a medium size bowl, add beans, bread crumbs, egg, cumin and chili powder. Add finely chopped onion/garlic to bean mixture
3. Mush up bean mixture until thoroughly mixed, but not runny
4. Form your burgers into 4 patties. Heat a nonstick skillet to medium heat. When pan is fully heated, lightly coat with olive oil or cooking spray. Place your burgers down and let them cook for about 5 minutes, until flipping. There should be a light brown crust on the very top layer of the burger
5. After flipping, add the sliced cheese (If desired) to the top of the burger, and cover your skillet, allowing cheese to melt quickly and evenly
6. Remove burgers from skillet and let cool before serving
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.