Enjoy the rich flavor and texture of eggplant parmesan with less work and fat. The eggplant are broiled then baked with a layer of cheese, sauce, and breadcrumbs, making this a healthier dish you can whip up on a busy night.
2 medium eggplant
3 cups marinara sauce
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1 cup plain or whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound spaghetti noodles
Parsley, finely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the broiler on your oven to high and place an oven rack in the highest position.
2. Remove the ends of the eggplant and cut them into slices about 1/4-inch thick. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet and brush both sides lightly with olive oil or spray with cooking spray.
3. Broil 5-7 minutes per side or until soft and just beginning to brown. When the eggplant is done, move the oven rack down to the middle position and heat the oven to bake at 425ºF.
4. Thoroughly combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
5. Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Pour a little marinara in the bottom of the pan and spread around evenly. Arrange the eggplant slices in the dish. They will be slightly overlapping.
6. Cover with remaining marinara sauce. Arrange mozzarella slices on top of the sauce.
7. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and beginning to brown.
9. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
10. Cook spaghetti according to package directions and drain.
11. Serve spaghetti topped with a scoop of the eggplant and sprinkled with chopped parsley, if desired. Makes about six servings.
Lindsay is a food blogger and stay-at-home mom of three small children. She's all about doing what needs to be done to keep everyone fed, happy, and healthy.
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.