Complex Carbs vs. Simple Carbs
Carbs are either your best friend or your worst enemy. There are two different types of carbs that can affect you differently: complex carbs and simple carbs.
Complex carbs (“Good” carbs)
- Are beneficial from the moment you wake up until your post-workout.
- Are high in fiber helping you to feel fuller longer.
- Are high in vitamins and minerals.
- Give you sustained energy.
- Whole grain pastas and breads
- Brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Green vegetables
Simple carbs (“Bad” carbs)
- Are digested quickly and don’t contain vitamins or minerals that are used by the body. If unused, they are often stored as fat.
- Are nutrient-stripped to make them inexpensive.
- Are often converted to fat.
- Make you feel tired due to fluctuations in blood sugars.
- Contain added sugars to make them more flavorful to consumers.
- Treats and candy
- Refined/white breads
- Sodas, artificial juices, and high-sugar drinks
- Any processed foods
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.