Butternut Squash SoupSnap Fitness
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, skinned and chopped
1 Liter vegetable broth
1 butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
1 tsp salt, more to taste
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
A pinch of ground cloves
1 apple, thinkly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil, drizzle over seeded butternut squash halves and sprinkle with salt, place face down in a 9x11 cake pan and fill with ¼ of an inch with water, loosely cover with tinfoil. Place into oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the skin can be easily pierced with a fork.
- In a large skillet bring the remaining 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil to med-high heat, sauté minced garlic for 2-3 minutes, add finely chopped red onions, combine and let cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ground cloves to onion mixture and combine.
- Add 1 liter of vegetable broth and the chopped carrot to the pan, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until carrots are cooked completely. Remove from heat. Transfer to a blender
- Remove butternut squash from oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes, with a spoon scrape out flesh and transfer to same blender with broth mixture.
- Puree until smooth.
- Return to large saucepan, bring mixture to a simmer and cover for 4-5 minutes until mixture has thickened.
Garnish instructions (optional)
- Bring 1 tsp of coconut oil to medium heat in a small sauce pan, sauté apple slices for 2-3 minutes, drizzle with desired honey (1 tsp) and sprinkle with desired cinnamon (1 tsp), continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Ladle 1 cup of soup into bowl, garnish with apples and enjoy!