5 Tips To Stay On Course in Times of Huge Change
It’s not easy to deal with change or to deflect negativity. It’s also not healthy to dodge your emotions. Sometimes it feels impossible to just let whatever is eating at us ‘just roll off our backs’. In times of massive change, it can be hard to stay on course with our physical and mental wellness.
I liken dealing with change to steering a ship. If you know anything about history, you know you can’t make a left turn on a dime when navigating a vessel that huge. Instead, you move degree by degree until you execute that turn and get back on course.
When life throws a big curveball my way, I grab the wheel of that ship and degree by degree, task by task, habit by habit, I make my way back on course. Here are some of my favorite ways to make incremental changes that help me cope in difficult times.
- Do something small every day that makes you smile. For me, this is anything from enjoying a cup of hot coffee first thing in the morning to watching a silly dance meme on Tik Tok
- Think of something you’re grateful for every day and write it down on the same piece of paper. Over time, the list of good things in your life will get longer and longer. Better yet? Display it on a bathroom mirror or on the fridge - where you’ll see it daily.
- Make it a point to reach out to friends and family to chat. Big changes can feel isolating, especially in today’s climate where isolation is mandated. It helps to know that no matter what you’re up against, you have a network of people to support you. Supporting other people can be a great way to make you feel good as well.
- Feel your feelings. It’s okay to not feel okay. It’s important to deal with your emotions instead of dodging them. If your emotions are leading you to a dark place, try to simply visit that place, but try not to live there.
- Move your body any amount. I have never finished a workout wishing that I hadn’t started it. It can be hard to make it to that first step or first rep but even a small amount of exercise can make all the difference in your mood.
What small steps do you take to steer your ship back on course? Share with us how you stay mindful when coping with times of huge change. Tag #SNAPNATION to connect with our supportive fitness community!
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.