13 Fat Loss TipsSnap Fitness
Do you want to wear a bikini with confidence, fit into those skinny jeans that you used to wear, or just want to improve your overall health? If so, then you are not alone! Ninety percent of people who join a gym have these exact goals. In an information-dominated world with so many contradictions on fat loss and training, it is easy to get confused with what works and what doesn't.
As a coach who specializes in fat loss, it is my number one priority to help my clients achieve their goals and get the body that they desire. Even though no two clients of mine are the same, these are a few simple protocols that they incorporate into their routine to help them get the body and life that they deserve:
1. Drink more water. Drinking water is one of the easiest and cheapest things to improve your health. Aim to have at least 3-4 liters a day.
2. Eat your calories, don't drink them. Avoid juices, milks, soft drinks and any other high-calorie drinks unless they are freshly-squeezed juices/smoothies that contain all the fiber from the foods used. Eliminate your alcohol consumption if you are serious about dropping body fat!
3. Do at least 45 minutes of exercise a day. Weight training is one of the best forms of exercise to reduce your body fat and should be performed 3-4 times a week for the best results.
4. Fasted cardio (before breakfast or four hours after eating) kickstarts your metabolism for the day and also accelerates the fat burning process.
5. Consume a diet high in fiber from green leafy vegetables. Aim to have green vegetables 2-3 times a day.
6. Have 100mg of caffeine before exercise for a thermogenic fat-burning effect. Coffee is packed with antioxidants, improves your sensitivity to carbohydrates, and is proven to increase fat burning.
7. Eat majority of your starchy carbohydrates around your training time (pre and post workouts meals).
8. Eat a good source of protein with every main meal. Breakfast should contain lean protein and healthy fats to aid in the regulation of blood sugar levels and help avoid cravings for sweets throughout the day. Why is protein so important? Protein is the building blocks of your body, getting enough protein in each day will lower cravings, boost energy and burn fat whilst shaping muscle.
9. Eat regular meals with smaller portions. Ditch the three main meal diet and replace it with 5-6 small meals evenly spaced throughout the day.
10. Incorporate high intensity interval training into your weekly routine . Most commonly referred to as HIIT it is usually done by sprinting at 100 percent of your max effort for a short amount of time (30 seconds approximately) followed by a rest period of between 30-60 seconds. Sprint training has been proven to be one of the best forms of exercise for fat loss! This could be in the form of stair runs, hill sprints, bike sprints, or simply sprinting outside.
11. Alkalize and detoxify your body by eating a diet rich in fresh organic green leafy vegetables. A diet high in animal protein, soft drink, sugar and alcohol alongside a stressful lifestyle will cause an acidic PH level in the body. A green supplement containing wheat grass, barley grass, green tea extract, and spirulina can also be beneficial to those who want to alkalize their body.
12. Avoid foods high in sugar or refined carbohydrates. Get into the habit of reading the nutritional label on foods that you are about to eat and look out for hidden sugars in the ingredients list. They may be called glucose, dextrose, cane sugar, fructose, corn sweetener, honey, lactose, malt syrup, maltodextrin, or sucrose. All of these are simple carbohydrates and will cause a spike in your blood glucose levels that can attribute to the storage of fat if consumed in excess.
13. Pre-plan your week and schedule in your workouts. Most importantly, stick to your plan!
Want to learn more about Jessica and her training experience with Snap Fitness? You can find more information about her here.