BBQ Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust
EVERYBODY LOVES PIZZA-- THERE IS NO DENYING THAT! WE TOOK A HEALTHIER AND SWEETER SPIN ON OUR FAVORITE CHEAT DAY MEAL. GIVE THIS SWEET POTATO CRUST A TRY DURING YOUR NEXT PIZZA PARTY!
For the Crust:
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour
- 4-5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 tsp kosher salt
For the Pizza Toppings:
- 1⁄3 - 1⁄2 cup + 1 Tbsp bbq sauce, divided
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1⁄2 -3⁄4 cup low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese (use dairy free if needed)
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 large red onion, thinly sliced Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal S blade, or using an electric hand mixer, blend the sweet potato mash until smooth. Stop the machine add in the egg, vinegar, olive oil, and spices/herbs and blend to combine. Add in the almond flour and 4 Tbsp of coconut flour, and pulse to combine. The crust will be very soft and just slightly tacky. If it’s still a little too sticky or there’s too much moisture, add the additional Tbsp of coconut flour.
- Pour the dough out onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form the dough into a disc, top with another sheet of parchment paper, and gently press it out to form a 12” circle about 1⁄4” thick. When done, remove and discard the top sheet of parchment and place the pizza crust into the oven for 25-30 minutes until the sides are lightly golden.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Top with 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup of bbq sauce, depending on how much you would like or the size of your crust. Sprinkle with 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup of shredded mozzarella. Mix the shredded chicken with the remaining 1 Tbsp of bbq sauce and top on the pizza. Add the bell pepper and red onion. Optional to sprinkle an additional few Tbsp of shredded cheese over the top.
- Return the pizza to the oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with fresh chopped cilantro, and slice to serve.
Makes approximately one 12” pizza
- The amount of bbq sauce and shredded cheese used can be to personal preference. Try finding a healthier, unsweetened bbq sauce or use a homemade version.
- If coconut flour can’t be used, just omit and try adding an additional 1⁄4 cup of almond flour.
-Not a fan of BBQ sauce? Experiment with your own toppings! Don’t forget to tag us in your foodie posts so we can try your recipe next!
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.