Honey Almond Homemade Granola
Granola can be a comforting and delicious snack, but pre-packaged granola can be high in sugar and heavy on the wallet.
Homemade granola is really quite simple, the best part about making your own version is that you can control the sweetener and personalize it to your desired taste with different nuts and dried fruits.
This recipe uses only natural sweetener – honey, and almonds are added for extra flavor and protein. Dried fruits such as raisins and cranberries can be added, but look for unsweetened fruits to keep the sugar content down.
Enjoy this granola with yogurt, or by the handful!
6 Cups old fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free rolled oats to make the recipe gluten-free)
1 Cup whole almonds
1/2 Cup sliced almonds
3/4 Cup honey
1/4 Cup vegetable oil, coconut oil or other healthy cooking oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients (honey, oil, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt)
3. Add in the oats and almonds and stir until all dry ingredients are evenly coated.
4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread a layer of the mixture on the baking sheets. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Take the pan out at 20 minutes and 35 minutes to stir.
5. Once golden brown, remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool completely.
6. If you are going to add in dried fruit, do this once the granola is completely cooled.
7. Store the finished granola in an air-tight container.
Makes 10 cups
Serving size is about ½ cup
202 calories, 28 carbs, 9g fat, 6g protein, 11g sugar