Looking for a way to kick the Basic 8 workout up a notch?
Try adding in a cardio set between each strength set. Complete 10-15 reps of each strength set followed by the cardio set - and repeat for 2 sets each!
If you haven't head of the Basic 8 workout, you can check it out here.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
It’s one of the age-old challenges of the gym. How to add muscle without bulking up so much you look like Hans or Franz? Worry not. We can pump you up, but in a lean way. Just follow these suggestions.
- Lift Three Days a Week for 30 Minutes. But don’t just start lifting randomly. Check in with a Snap Fitness trainer first. Lifting requires correct posture and positioning, and the best way to tighten and tone without bulking up is through high repetitions and low weights. Ask a trainer for guidance before you get started.
- Rest. This is almost as important as lifting. Make sure you give yourself a day in between sessions to give your muscles time to rebuild and strengthen. Do some cardio in your off days to stay toned.
- The Goal Is To Fail. Muscle fatigue is the name of the game. When you do your reps, you want to push your muscles until they can no longer do the lift. This should happen after your third set. The result is you will tear and rebuild a leaner physique with this method. It works!
- Drink Plenty of Water. A good rule of thumb is 16 ounces of water per every half hour of a lifting session. Muscles that are hydrated perform better. Simple as that.
- Try Compound Exercises. These are exercises that work more than one muscle at a time, which is good for building lean muscle. Try working in some push-ups, burpees, walking lunges, plank poses and kettle ball workouts.
- Eat Smart. Be strategic about your food choices. Keep in mind the following. Eat a breakfast that is between 300 and 600 calories within 90 minutes of waking up. Your muscles will not be told to store fat, and you will get a leaner body. Eat a meal two hours before you work-out. Try to schedule lunch or a large snack so that you will have enough time to digest and use the calories as you train. Eat a protein rich snack after your workout. A high-protein snack that includes low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt, almond butter, whey powder, eggs, fish or poultry will help to heal muscles quickly.
- Sleep. After a work-out, your muscles use the nutrients and water you’ve ingested during the day to help you build and grow lean muscles while you sleep. Get those zzzzzz’s.
1. Hands-Free Experience
Fitness gadgets and wearables are hands-free. Meaning you can track your fitness and sleep experience without the hassle of annoying cords, or holding something throughout your workout. Being hands-free improves your overall experience
Unless you know exactly how many steps you take in a day, how many calories you burn, or how many hours of sleep you get each night, it’s difficult to keep track of how you are doing! Fitness gadgets and wearables provide awareness to all of these things, allowing for a better understanding of how your body is functioning, and what you need more or less of.
No one is better competition than yourself! Keeping up with the number of steps you take, calories you burn, or how often you get to the gym is a great way to stay motivated! A little self-competition doesn't hurt every now and then.
4. Improved Sleep
One of the best features of fitness gadgets and wearables is allowing you to monitor what kind of sleep you get, and how much! This is very eye-opening at first, but when your sleep starts to improved you will be forever thankful!