Most of us shy away from tuna salad because of the heavy mayo content, which is full of added fat and calories. Believe it or not, the key to a really good tuna salad isn’t hiding in the mayo jar, it’s in the added ingredients.
If you haven’t tried tuna packed in olive oil, we highly suggest it. Tuna packed in oil tends to be meatier and is actually healthy for you at the same time. We added our own dash of olive oil in this recipe, which gives this tuna salad a fancy kick.
Feel free to throw your own twist on your tuna salad. May we suggest; tomatoes, apples, raisins, walnuts, or sliced almonds? The skis the limit with your flavor combinations.
So go ahead! Get your fancy pants on and let’s get cooking!
- 1 can (5 oz) water packed tuna, drained
- 2 Tbsp kalamata olives, pitted and chopped or 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4-5 whole canned artichokes, chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, minced
- 1 finely chopped scallion - green part only
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain tuna, place in a medium sized bowl.
2. Combine kalamata olives, artichokes, minced celery, scallions, and stir.
3. In a separate bowl, wisk; lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Slowly pour dressing onto tuna mixture. Serve on bread, crackers, or on top of your favorite lettuce.