Looking for a quick on-the-go snack? Preferably a snack that isn’t full of added sugar or processed ingredients? If so, these chewy trail mix bars are your ticket! These bars are a combination of sweet and chewy, full of whole grains, nuts, coconut, and the best part… dark chocolate. Not to mention they are really easy to make!
Go ahead and give these a try. You won’t be buying pre-packaged trail mix bars again!
makes approx 16 bars
1 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4th tsp salt
2 T granulated sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or slivered almonds
3/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1. In a medium saucepan combine; peanut butter, honey, vanilla, salt, and sugar and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine all other ingredients except for the chocolate chips (save the best for last).
4. Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and mix well. Lastly, add the chocolate chips and stir in slowly. Be careful to not over mix, no one wants melted chocolate chips.
5. Place mixture into a 9” greased pan, patting down with moist hands.
6. Chill in fridge for an hour, or until hard
Hit the trail and enjoy!