6 Tips for a Perfect Pantry Purge
Part of a healthy eating plan is eliminating certain foods from your diet. The key is to stock up on fresh, natural foods. The most effective way to avoid processed foods is to keep them out of your pantry. If unhealthy foods aren’t readily available to you, they are easier to avoid. A healthier pantry means a healthier, happier you!
The key is to be prepared. Start by writing a short list of the specific foods that fit into your healthy food plan. Visit our Shopping Cart 101 for ideas on which foods to purchase at the store. Take an honest, hard look at your pantry. Throw out foods that are high in sugar, saturated fat, additives, white flour, and sodium. Purge you pantry and refrigerator of processed foods; restock your pantry with whole foods that will support your fitness goals.
6 Tips for a perfect pantry purge:
1. If you know it isn’t healthy, toss it. Plain and simple.
2. Try to avoid packaged and canned items. These usually contain additives.
3. Read labels. Purchase items that are free of artificial colors, sweeteners, dyes, hormones, and MSG.
4. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you enjoy. Look for alternatives that contain natural ingredients. If you deny your cravings, you will regret it later.
5. Research healthy recipes. This will give you a better idea of which ingredients to stock up on, and which to avoid.
6. Get the family involved! Make it a household activity. The more support you have, the better.
Nothing changes overnight, so cut yourself some slack if you can’t part with your favorite junk food. Take it one day at a time. Take it one meal at a time. Remember, it is the small changes that amount to big results.