Healthy Eating on the Go: A Guide for Your Busy Lifestyle
Figuring out how to eat healthy when you’re busy isn’t always easy. Between back-to-back meetings, errands, or classes, you may only have time to grab something quick. The tips and tricks below will help you form a game plan and make fueling yourself fit better into your busy schedule!
1. Keep healthy snacks on hand!
Whether you are running your daily errands or powering through your workday, keeping a healthy snack, or two on hand is crucial to avoid “hanger.” A nutritious snack will provide you with the energy you need to stay focused and feel your best until it’s time to clock out or do whatever it is you have to do!
Generally, an energizing and sustaining snack is going to include protein, fat, and/or fiber.
Check out this list of healthy snacks you can keep in your bag, car, or desk—no refrigeration required!
2. Meal prep breakfast the night before
Meal prepping is the concept of prepping whole meals ahead of schedule and it’s particularly popular amongst busy people because it can save a lot of time and keep you on top of your nutrition goals. A nutritious breakfast fuels you for the rest of your day and sets you up for success.
Here are a few recipes to try:
3. Be aware of healthy options when dining out
Restaurant food is meant to look, smell and taste delicious, and that means that sometimes nutrition can sometimes fall short when menus feature main dishes that are fried or covered in sauces and few fresh fruits and veggies. Don’t get us wrong, you must enjoy your pizza and fries every once and a while but if your busy schedule has you eating out regularly, there are ways to make more nutritious choices.
Here are a few tips:
- Check out the menu beforehand. It’s easier to choose a more nutritious meal option when you are not distracted. Look for meals that contain a well-rounded plate with veggies and protein.
- Eat slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your stomach that you are no longer hungry. It’s easier to overeat when you eat fast.
- If you can, park farther away or walk to your restaurant. You'll get your meal, some extra movement, and avoid the parking hassles.
Don't want to miss anything?
Get the latest recipes, workouts, success stories, tips and more right in your inbox.