If you’re looking to add more green into your diet, this recipe is for you. Leafy greens are packed with nutrients that are vital to a healthy diet. They also make your skin look better, and your body feel its best. Ask any dietitian and they will tell you that the leafy green superstar is Kale.
There are many ways to use kale in the kitchen, but we never thought to use it in pesto, until now. This kale pesto recipe is perfect on pizza, grilled cheese, pasta, or spread on toast. You can even make a double batch and freeze it it ice cube trays, then let it thaw when you're ready for it. Who knew pesto could be so versitile?
Small bunch of kale (remove the thick part of the stems)
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/2 to 1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil ( or more for smoother pesto)
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a medium sized pot bring water to boil with a pinch of salt
2. Place kale in boiling water and let stand for 60 seconds.
3. Remove kale from pot, and place in a medium sized bowl with cold water. Let soak for 30 seconds.
4. Remove kale from water and pat dry with paper towel.
5. Cut up kale leaves into small pieces. Place in a blender or food processor.
6. Blend kale and all other ingredients together. Pulse to create a chunky pesto, blend longer to create a smoother version. Taste and adjust, adding more salt, pepper, lemon, olive oil, as necessary.