Ginger Beef Stir Fry
Lean beef, crisp vegetables, and ginger-infused sauce is a crowd pleaser. This version of the take-out favorite is simple to make at home and allows you to control the ingredients added. To add extra vegetables per serving and to lower the usual amount of carbs for this dish, ginger beef is served over cauliflower rice instead of the usual brown or white rice.
Use small sweet bell peppers for a less spicy dish. If you like it spicy, use hot chili peppers, such as serrano chiles, to add some heat.
Ginger Beef over Cauliflower Rice
Ginger Beef Ingredients:
1 1/4 pounds beef or bison steak
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
5 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon peeled and grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 teaspoon chile pepper flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoons regular or toasted sesame oil
3 small sweet peppers or hot chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
1 inch section fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchstick shapes
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts included
2 tablespoons cold water, gluten free beef or chicken stock
1 tablespoon corn, arrowroot or tapioca starch
Ginger Beef Directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, gluten-free soy sauce, honey, grated ginger, minced garlic, and chile pepper flakes. Set aside while preparing steak.
2. Thinly slice the steak into strips. (Tip: Place the steak in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. The slightly frozen steak is much easier to cut into very thin slices.)
3. Place the sliced steak into the bowl with the marinade. Stir to combine, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, up to four hours.
4. When ready to cook the stir fry, heat half of the oil and sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Sauté the peppers and ginger until crisp-tender, then remove from pan and set aside.
6. Sauté sliced garlic, peas and green onions until peas are bright green and crisp-tender. Remove pea mixture from pan and set aside with peppers.
7. Add remainder of oil to skillet and heat. Working in batches, stir fry beef until all is cooked.
8. Add remaining marinade to skillet and bring to a boil.
9. Add all cooked beef back to pan along with any accumulated juices.
10. Mix the corn starch with cold water and stir until mixture has thickened.
11. Add vegetables and quickly toss all together until heated through and sauce is evenly distributed.
12. Serve ginger beef over cauliflower rice. Move below to Cauliflower Rice section.
Cauliflower Rice Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
1 head of cauliflower, cleaned, cored and leaves removed
3 to 4 tablespoons gluten and dairy free chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper, to taste
Cauliflower Rice Directions:
1. Chop cauliflower finely into rice sized pieces or run the cauliflower through the grater of a food processor.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add chopped cauliflower and stock.
4. Stir fry cauliflower until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve ginger beef over cauliflower rice.