Featured Recipe: Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
Yesterday’s blog, ‘8 Reasons Why We Love Oatmeal,’ highlighted several reasons why oatmeal might just be the perfect food.
Today we have a great recipe and the star of it is, you guessed it, oatmeal!
These Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins are quick to make and better yet, are easy to freeze and reheat – so they are great to have on stand-by in the freezer!
5 cups old fashioned rolled oats (use certified gluten free oats to make the recipe gluten-free!)
2 ¾ cups almond milk (or skim if you prefer)
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
½ cup honey
1 ripe banana mashed
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare 2 muffin tins with muffin tin liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, applesauce, mashed banana and honey. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add in oats, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Mix together.
4. Add in the almond milk and mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. The mixture will be runny.
5. Pour the mixture into the muffin tin liners. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of a muffin.
6. Let the muffins cool and enjoy! Be sure to freeze the muffins within 1-2 days.
Makes about 24 muffins
Per serving: 109cal, 21g carbs, 2g fat, 3g protein, 8g sugar, 166mg sodium