Best Green Foods
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! The best things in life are green – especially when it comes to food. Green foods are loaded with nutrients that help you fight disease and stay healthy. Go green with your meals today with these five foods!
You don’t have to be Irish to enjoy these superfoods:
1. Kale: Have you tried the healthiest salad green? Forget iceberg or romaine lettuce, kale is all the rage these days. Kale is great because it’s high in fiber, low in calories, and zero-fat. One cup of kale has 36 calories and five grams of fiber. It’s high in iron, vitamin K (good for your bones!), vitamin A (good for your immune system!), and omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Brussel Sprouts: True, they’re not a popular vegetable, but they’re so good for you. An excellent source of protein, potassium, and iron, brussel sprouts aid in preventing heart disease and maintain a healthy digestive system. We recommend roasting them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Kiwi: The perfect addition to your salad or yogurt, kiwis are nutrient-dense and extremely high in vitamin C. Surprisingly, a kiwi has more potassium than a banana! It’s also a good source of vitamin E, folate, and fiber.
4. Green Beans: You can steam them, roast them, or eat them plain; they’re delicious any way you like them! Green beans are packed with fiber; they’re a great choice for diabetics because they can lower cholesterol and blood sugar. Green beans are also a good source of vitamins A, C, and K.
5. Green Tea: One of the healthiest drinks in the world, green tea has a ton of antioxidants that can lower the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and other health problems. Trying to lose weight? Green tea increases your metabolism; the polyphenol found in green tea works to changes the levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body turns food into calories.
What’s your favorite green food? Share it with us on our Facebook page.