In the middle of summer, markets are bursting with fresh produce, best of all – colorful blackberries! These bars are grain-free (thanks to a tasty substitution of coconut flour and almonds!) and they’re brimming with blackberries, which are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. Prepare these delicious, fruity bars each weekend for a healthy weekday breakfast on-the-go!
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 cup coconut flour
12 ounces blackberries
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ cup almonds, processed into a meal
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease an 8 x 8 inch pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together honey, coconut oil, and pinch of salt until well-combined.
- Add the coconut flour and mix until dough forms.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown, about eight minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 325° F.
- Place the blackberry filling ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until the filling is slightly chunky, about 20 seconds.
- Pour the filling over the baked crust and use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Mix together the almond meal and shredded coconut in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly on top of the filling.
- Bake the bars for another 15 minutes, until topping is slightly brown and filling is set. Let cool completely then cover and refrigerate for at least six hours. (This is very important! If you do not let the bars cool, the crust will be too soft and they will fall apart.)
*Baker’s tip: Use a 9 x 9 inch pan for a thinner crust.